Friday, March 13, 2009

"I cannot tell a lie...I chopped down your cherry tree."

Calvin: Where do we keep all our chainsaws, Mom?
Mum: We don't have any chainsaws, Calvin.
Calvin: We don't? Not any?
Mum: Nope.
Calvin: How am I ever going to learn how to juggle?

So, I was practicing the piano a couple of days ago (something that happens all too rarely these days), and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the Boy go into the garage, and then emerge and walk ever-so-quickly (his "invisibility walk") back outside, holding something very close to his body (this makes the item invisible as well). I thought I saw the top of a baseball bat, so I wasn't too worried at first because I assumed he was just playing with balls outside or something. But his stealthiness made me think twice, so I went outside to check on him.

He was just just pulling back from doing something with...a hatchet. Nice.

Me: "Son, what are you doing with the ax?"
Boy, looking guilty: "I was going to chop down that bush so that I could climb on the big rock."
Me: "Can you show me which bush?"

We walk over to the offending bush, that is so obviously impeding access to what would make an excellent climbing rock.
It also happens to be my Forsythia bush, planted by me to create beauty and texture against a large rock that would be otherwise boring to look at.
(Apparently when I planted the bush, I overlooked some of the important virtues of the rock)

Me: "This bush here?"
Boy: "Yes."
Me: "Son, I planted this bush here on purpose, in a few weeks it will have beautiful, yellow flowers on it. I don't think I want it chopped down. It does look like a fun rock to climb on, though."
Boy: "Yeah."

As we slowly walk back inside (both sad about the loss of opportunity to have easy access to a fun rock), I broach the subject of the hatchet.

Me: "Son, do you think this ax is something you should be able to use by yourself, or something you should ask Mom or Dad about before using?"
Boy, head down, (knowing that if he had asked Mom or Dad, the answer would have been 'no'-- the reason he snuck it out in the first place, duh): "(gulp) Ask Mom or Dad."
Me: "Yeah, that would have been a good idea. Why don't you go get Sarah and Chewy and we'll go for a walk?"
Boy: O.K.!

The boy runs inside, happy again.
The Mom, (happy that she has a boy who won't need any more disciplinary action then what just happened) takes the hatchet and puts it in the garage on the highest hook she can find.

My boy is extremely honest--he will tell me everything, even if he knows it might get him in trouble. I love that about him.

I also love that he is a problem solver, and in true male form was planning to use a tool to do it. Chopping down the bush in front of a rock wanting to be climbed on never would have occurred to my girls at that age; although, I can see them dressing up and acting out pioneers,
wading through the treacherous bush to get to the rock.

Calvin: I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!

2 comments:

Ivan and Shelley said...

He is definitely a keeper!

Unknown said...

Way to keep your cool Sher! You are a model of Love & Logic parenting.

No wonder my kids like you better than me :)