Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Big Island (or, who says you have to relax in "paradise")

We have been here four days, and Part Time Politician has yet to take me to a sandy beach, where I can relax and read a magazine...

It seems this seal is the only one getting R & R around here:

Seals can decide at any time that they want to come on land and clear the beach of people. People are required by law to be 35 feet away. I found this out after I took pictures. I wasn't as close as I seem to be, though. I have a telephoto lens.

I can't imagine rocks being all that comfortable, but this guy seems to be just as comfortable as Chewy is on his soft bed. At least, the seal has the same look as Chewy does when Chewy is getting a nice long nap in. The main difference was that the seal's tail didn't start to wag all on it's own when I walked by (sleep-wagging--Chewy's tail knows it is me, even when Chewy is "sound asleep").

To be clear: we did not stop at the beach where the seal was to enjoy the day. Nope, we saw him as we were driving by, so we stopped to look at him quickly before we went on to our other "activities."

Here I am in the bottom of a crater that used to be a lake of lava. This is where my husband takes me when we go to Hawaii...

At least I have my very awesome "grandma hat." The Asians and I know how to dress when visiting volcanoes.
Did I mention the volcano we visited is still active? No Fear.


P.T. Politician was like a kid in a candy story at the Volcano National Park. He LOVED it! His favorite part was when we got to hike through an old lava tube. He couldn't stop grinning or commenting on it. He especially liked the part when we could leave the lighted area (because we had flashlights) and go explore farther into the tube.

The entrance to the lava tube

Some kids playing around in the molten lava

PS: P.T. Politician was the one that said I should dog on him for not taking me to a sandy beach yet (I obliged) . I'm actually having a grand time. I like hiking around volcanoes. We have also gone to a botanical garden (awesome), to some waterfalls, and to a very cool place called the "Place of Refuge." Oh yeah. P.T.P also really liked this tree:

If you can tell us why he liked it so much, you will be our big winner!

5 comments:

Chris said...

Cause its not a tree- or it is... but with a radio/cell phone/ some kind of electrical tower combined with it. What is the big prize?

Alyosha said...

Is that a cell phone tower? If all you want is a beach, you can just come visit us in Cali.

Neal said...

That would be a Cisco Tree!

What'd I win?

Unknown said...

You're in Hawaii?!?!?

Why don't I know these things? You lucky woman you- paradise, your sweetheart and volcanos. What more could a girl want?

Brett and Lex said...

Sher, I'm still waiting for the pictures of you on the beach in a bikini! Haha! Looks like a fun trip!