Sunday, January 11, 2009

Overheard...

today as I was using my "avoidance strategy" (ie. staying in bed all morning in hopes that all of life's problems will just go away):

Boy (yelling to his sister in the bathroom): S, don't go in the kitchen for a minute, or even look in there!
S (yelling back): Why?
Boy (again, yelling): Because I just spilled my bowl of cereal all over the floor and I need to go talk to mom about it!

Sigh.

This actually made me laugh. Why would he not want S to see what had happened, but then tell her about it?

The ensuing conversations:
Boy (running into my room): Mommy! I just spilled my whole bowl of cereal all over the red rug.
Me (from the bed): O.K. just a minute.
Boy runs out of the room.
Me (from the bed): S! Come here.
S: What, Mommy?
Me: Will you help your brother by rolling up the rug carefully? Then put it in the laundry room. Use a wet rag to wipe up anything else.
S (slumping over): O.K.
S slowly walks out of the room.

And, thus I was able to continue my strategy (that obviously wasn't working).

Later...

Coming from the shower:

Boy: Someone took all the hot! Someone took all the hot!
R (running to the bathroom and then yelling through the door): What's wrong?
Boy: Someone took all the hot!
R: It was S. She is taking a bath.
Boy: Well, she took all the hot. Tell her she can take the cold, but not the hot!

2 comments:

Alyosha said...

I totally use that strategy. It never works for me either.

Nessa Burt said...

That is so funny. That is so Scotty!