Friday, February 07, 2014

Honestly, the conversations I am privileged to have with this boy...

George, as "'Indy on a Jones' NOT 'Indiana,' Mom!"



Here's one:

George, pointing at a picture of himself that popped up on the screen: Hey, look!  There's when we went to feed the ducks!

Me:  Yep!  Wasn't that fun?!?

George:  Yes. I like ducks.  I want to go feed them again.

Me:  In St. George with Grandma?  That's where the ducks are that we like to feed.

George:  I'm going to pick a duck up.

Me:  I...don't think ducks like to be picked up.  Unless they are little baby ducks.

George, making demonstrating motions with his arms:  No--I'm going to pick him up under his tummy and then I'm going to throw him into the air and then he will fly.

Me:  Remind me to warn the ducks you are coming.



Here's another:

Me:  Somebody tore a page out of this book.

George:  Yes.

Me, acting as if I didn't know he was the only one in the house who would still vandalize a book:  Was it you?

George, thinking quickly:  Yes...I was trying to make a 'vention.

Me:  You were trying to make an invention?

George:  Yes.

Apparently, something as important as an invention should be a widely accepted as a reason to rip a book apart...



Here's one that was brought to remembrance by writing about the ripped book:

I came into the kitchen to find George staring at the broken mirror I had set on the counter earlier in the day.

George:  This mirror's broken.

Me:  I know, Mommy accidentally broke Bean's mirror.

George, brightening, and with a HUGE sigh of relief:  Then it wasn't ME?!?!?

The rest of the day, anytime someone came into the kitchen, he informed them that "Mommy breaked the mirror."  I guess he just wanted to advertise that he isn't the only one who breaks things around here.

(What makes it funnier--and a actually tugs at my heartstrings a little--is that I found out that Bean had seen him looking at the mirror right before I had, and had asked him if he had broken her mirror.  He had replied, "No."  Which was the truth.  But then he must have been second-guessing himself--maybe thinking back, trying to figure out when he had broken it.  Poor kid.  Hence the intensity in which he was staring at the mirror when I found him, and his expression of elation when he found out it truly wasn't him--as he originally thought.)



And still another:

While we were driving in the car.

George, after having been extra quiet and obviously pondering something: Mom, are you already married?

Me: Yes.

George:  OK, I'll marry Goosie then.

I was flattered to be his first choice--I'd have thought he'd pick Goosie over me, hands down.  Especially since for the first couple years of his life he called her "Mommy-Goosie"

Me:  Do you know who I'm married to?

George: Um...is it Daddy?

Me, wondering how PTP and I had failed at making this more obvious: Yes, it's Daddy.

From here, I can't remember exactly how the dialogue went, but it seems like I ended up being married to Part Time Politician and George betrothed himself to Goosie and said that Bean could marry Ted.

So, we're all good on that front.  If we lived in Adam and Eve's time.





2 comments:

Part Time Politician said...

I want to be an Indy on a Jones Pirate who chases ducks when I grow up!

Jennifer said...

I wish I had George's imagination. I'd be on the NYT bestseller list right now.